Papanui trees left unsafe after roading work
A group of 60‑year‑old trees planted to commemorate those who died in World War 1 are to be felled after they were damaged during road works.
Some residents of Perry Street, Papanui, have dubbed it a "massacre" after learning 10 Ginkgo biloba trees will be cut down because damage to their roots mean they are at risk of falling.
There is also a risk to the safety of properties and power cables.
The trees were originally planted as part of the Papanui Memorial Avenue to the fallen of 1939 to 1945. They were damaged during work to renew the kerb and gutter done during the last three months.
In a letter to residents, Christchurch City Council arborist Graham Clark and transport and greenspace manager Michael Aitken said the council was "saddened by this outcome and was unaware the work would have such a major effect on the trees".
Ten trees have been earmarked for urgent removal and another 16 will be monitored and may be removed later.
Resident Kate Douglas said she was saddened by the loss of the trees she loved so much.
"I loved the trees and I think it is a great shame. I would be willing to sign something to say I would not blame the council if anything happened if it meant I could keep the tree but I guess they cannot do that. I hope it does not affect the area too much," she said.
Shirley/Papanui community board chairwoman Yvonne Palmer said residents were saddened but willing to accept the council's decision. "We went out last night and spoke to most of the residents. A few are very angry but most realise there is very little that can be done and are glad we are willing to work with them to try and solve the problem," she said.
"It is a shame that this has happened but hopefully lessons will be learnt and the same mistakes will not be made again."
Palmer said the community board was asking residents to write to the council with their views so the matter was kept on record.
The city council has promised to replace the trees.
The Press, July 13 2006

1 Comments:
Scary stuff, folks! This really is a disaster for Perry Street residents, and my heart goes out to them. This debacle does not inspire confidence in CCC's ability to work on St James Ave without killing the trees.
Post a Comment
<< Home