St James Ave Oaks (2006-2007)

In 2006 the CCC proposed that the St James Avenue Scarlet Oaks be cut down and replaced with Scarlet Oak saplings. Our community successfully fought for the preservation of these trees, at least for the time being. This blog is for ongoing discussion of this and related issues. Although primarily intended for St James Ave residents, others are welcome to visit. Bear in mind this is a public site, accessible to all.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Another tree scientist supports us!

Betty Brice kindly forwarded this email to me (with the author's permission). David is a tree Scientist with Landcare, and his response further reinforces our position that the trees should stay.

11 June 2006

Betty,

I look forward to seeing you tomorrow but I thought I'd reply to your questions about the trees in your street.

Oak trees are extremely long-lived and can survive up to several hundred years. They are one of the longest lived hardwood species with strong, resistant heartwood. This means that the stems are likely to stay hard and strong and unlikely to suffer form rot in the centre of big stems. So, suggesting that the trees are 'over mature' or dangerous because they 'might collapse' is likely to be wrong. This could easily be tested by taking a small 'core' of wood from the outside to the centre of the trees using a special tool known as an 'increment corer', then examining the wood. This same process can be used to age trees, by counting the annual rings. Oak has a clear definition of seasonal growth and rings can be counted easily.

So, assuming that the trees in your street are healthy and only yet in 'mid life', to prevent them being cut down, you'd have to organise the street to protest to the Council. However, this may be difficult. I know that there was a huge outcry about the trees in Fendalton Road being cut down for road widening, but the trees lost out in the end. Similarly, I was very surprised when the trees in Hamilton Avenue were cut down, but I don't know how strong the protest was from the residents.

The Council will likely argue that the needs need to go so that the road can be improved. I guess this is a fair argument, but very disappointing if they have to go. While they will likely be replaced, the character of the street will not be restored for 30 to 40 years when the new trees will have grown large enough.

I hope you and your neighbours can make a strong case to the Council to reconsider its decision, because I agree that it will be a great pity to see the trees go,

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home