St James Ave Oaks (2006-2007)

In 2006 the CCC proposed that the St James Avenue Scarlet Oaks be cut down and replaced with Scarlet Oak saplings. Our community successfully fought for the preservation of these trees, at least for the time being. This blog is for ongoing discussion of this and related issues. Although primarily intended for St James Ave residents, others are welcome to visit. Bear in mind this is a public site, accessible to all.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.

- Ogden Nash, Song of the Open Road, 1933


... or perhaps you would prefer the original...


I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree."

- Joyce Kilmer, 1886-1918, Trees


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home